I am a Mountaineering and Skiing Instructor based in the central highlands of Scotland, though originally from Devon. My love for the mountains was inspired from skiing in the Alps as a child, which quickly grew to climbing and mountaineering aspirations.
I studied Outdoor Education at South Devon College, before moving to Scotland for an Apprenticeship with Active Outdoor Pursuits based in Aviemore, Scotland, where I attained qualifications in both land and water based activities. Following this fifteen month period, I became self employed and worked as Freelance Instructor in Devon and in Scotland, enabling me to choose work country wide and work for a variety of different companies and centres.
I currently hold the Mountaineering Instructors Award, which is the highest UK based summer mountaineering qualification, as well as my Winter Mountain Leaders award and Alpine Level 2 Ski Instructor. These qualifications allow me to guide and instruct all aspects of summer rock climbing and mountaineering, walking in the mountains in winter and all aspects of skiing within a resort in Scotland and in a variety of countries abroad. The qualification pathway is an ongoing process and I aim to continue proffessional development towards my International Skiing Instructors award this winter as well as my Mountaineering Instructors Certificate Training (MIC) in February 2014.
I am a member of the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI) and British Association of Skiing Instructors (BASI) both of these provide me with insurance as well as contiunous proffesssional development.
I am passionate about the mountains, not just as a place for work. I will regularly be out and about in the UK and abroad, often in the alps climbing, skiing and mountaineering. To have a look at what I have been up to recently please visit my blog.
Some favourite routes:
- The Needle - Carn Etchacan (The Cairngorms)
- King Cobra - Sgurr MhicCoinnich (Skye)
- North West Passage - Castel Helen (Gogarth)
- Moon Raker - Berry Head (Devon)
- Whits end Direct - Gimmer Crag (Lake District)
- Little Brown Jug - Bosigran (Cornwall)
- Orion Face Direct - Ben Nevis
- Savage slit - The Cairngorms
- Hadrians Wall Direct - Ben Nevis
- The Message - The Cairngorms
- South Pipe Direct - Creag Meagaidh
- Diadem - Creag Meagaidh
- The Frendo Spur - Mont Blanc range
- The Dent Du Geant - Mont Blanc range
- Mont Maudit via the Knuffner route - Mont Blanc range
- Aiguille du Chardonnet via the Forbes arete - Mont Blanc range
- The Weissemeiss North Ridge - Sas Tal
- The Cresta Signal - Monta Rosa